Sat Kriya is a core practice of Kundalini Yoga and was developed by the incomparable Yogi Bhajan. The mantra chanted during this kriya is Sat Nam, which means “Truth is my identity.” If you are ready to see, listen to, feel, and BE your true Self, this is your kriya.
Benefits of Sat Kriya:
- Strengthens the nervous and sexual systems
- Balances digestion
- A full internal organ massage
- Strengthens the heart
- Stimulates and channels Kundalini energy
- Focuses and channels energy from the lower three chakras
- Calming, clearing, and purifying
- Helps align the practitioner with her/his true self
How to Practice SAT KRIYA:
- Sit in Vajrasana, or Rock Pose, as it is known in Kundalini Yoga.
- Extend your arms over your head, elbows straight, arms hugging the sides of your head.
- Interlace all your fingers except for the index fingers, which point straight up. (Women cross the left thumb over the right and men cross the right thumb over the left.) This is called Ksepana Mudra.
- Close your eyes and direct them softly toward your Third Eye.
- Relax the shoulders down the back, broaden across the collar bones, and soften the front ribs in.
- Begin to chant Sat Nam (rhymes with “But Mom”) with a constant rhythm of about 8 times every 10 seconds.
- Pull your navel in and up toward the spine when chanting “Sat” (sut) and chant from the navel point. Feel it as a bit of pressure from the Third Chakra center.
- When you chant “Nam” (naam), relax your belly.
- As you continue to chant rhythmically, the root and diaphragm locks (Mula Bandha + Uddiyana Bandha) are automatically engaged. Your abdomen will look and feel like gently rocking ocean waves.
- Keep your spine still and straight.
- The breath will regulate itself.
- Envision the energy that is circulating drawing up to your Third Eye center.
- Beginners will do this for 3 minutes. The next level is 11 minutes, and eventually over time, building to 31 minutes.
- When complete, take a lengthy Savasana to allow your body the time and space to absorb this powerful kriya.
Sat Kriya as written above © Y is for Yogini, adapted from the original kriya created by Yogi Bhajan.
After only a few days, the shift in your energy and consciousness is dramatic. This is an adventure in coming back to self.
kriya demonstration artwork credit: 3HO, modified by YIFY