At the age of 14, I was slightly boy-entranced. My Grammie used to joke that I’d get whiplash if I wasn’t more careful. Particularly luminous lads would often catch my eye (and crane my neck) as we were driving around. My head seemed to act of its own accord. Apparently it has hormones, too.
Nowadays, we the people don’t even look at each other. Our eyes are only for our gadgets. Rubbernecking is a thing of the past. Today’s great affliction. . . is TEXT NECK. But fear not, hangdog head-schlumpers, yoga is your cure-all.
5 Yoga Poses For Text Neck:
- Cat/Cow Pose (Marjaryasana/Bitilasana) – Provides a good warm-up, feels amazing, and allows you to both rest and flex your neck. Channel feline grace and bovine calm as you move.
- Neck Rolls – Simple and can be done anywhere. Be careful not to take your head too far back when rolling in that direction.
- Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana) – Your neck gets to hang loose and be itself.
- Child’s Pose (Balasana) – Your head is supported like a bebe, with an easy stretch in the opposite direction of text neck, gently righting the wrong.
- Corpse Pose (Savasana) – Instead of the weight of the world falling on your neck and head as your bleary eyes scan your screen, you are at rest. You can relax in full support and look at the sky…or the back of your eyelids.
May your neck be that of a non-texting swan!