In a nutshell, Vata is the first of the three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) — the mind/body types in Ayurveda. Some of us have Vata as our primary dosha, meaning this is our main mental mojo + physical makeup, however we all have Vata energy.
When in balance, Vata is beauteous and dazzling. Characteristics: creative, energetic, quick, lively, fun, imaginative, intelligent, witty. Elements: Air and ether. Governs: Prana, movement, digestion.
No matter your dosha, everyone has shifts in their Vata, Pitta, and Kapha energies on occasion, and sometimes that energy careens out of balance. The most common one to go bonkers? Vata.
How does it feel when your Vata energy is off the chain? Like this:
10 Ways to Calm Your Vata Energy:
- Practice a daily kriya or meditation.
- Get Sniffing! Vanilla, sandalwood, and patchouli are especially comforting.
- Good Eats: Warm, cooked (not raw), sweet, salty, and sour foods are perfecto for balancing Vata. Add some olive oil to your cooked veggies, have a cup of hot tea or warm milk with nutmeg + cinnamon, nibble on nuts, and eat your oatmeal like a champ.
- Sweet Feet: Rub warm organic sesame oil on your tootsies, slip on some snuggly socks, and hit the hay.
- Routines are good. Vata derangement is akin to having your head float off into the clouds like a balloon. A firm sched will keep you in line and moving forward with flow.
- Wear your calm on your sleeve: Dress in restful, soothing colors like lavender, greens, browns, and blues.
- Don’t hang out with assholes.
- Stay Warm. How about a snuggie? Organic cotton socks, a nubby scarf, and a cute hat = just what the ayurvedic doc ordered.
- Legs Up the Wall: Put on your fave mellow music and take Viparita Karani — the most calming pose in yoga, in my opinion.
Namaste, vatos and vatas. May buttery calm be with you.
photo credit: icanhascheezburger.com