I’m not a teacher, but I sure as hell believe that we must serve as the guardians of those who take care of us. Those who give with love, grace, freedom, and without expectation. The 90 minutes teachers spend serving as a spirit-elevating container for a room full of the distraught, the depressed, the repressed, and the emotionally weighed-down; this is priceless.
The take-away here is simple:
Asana up, ante up. Show yoga the money. Put your Jacksons where your practice is.
5 Reasons You Should Be More Than Happy to Pay for Yoga Class:
- Teachers are human. This means they eat, put gas in their cars, pay rent/mortgages, and work. Shocking! When you give to a yoga teacher, you aren’t financing their collection of Benzes and Lambos. You’re contributing to basic needs. None of us can serve with our foundational human needs unmet.
- They aren’t in this for the $$$$. Because that would be daft. Like going to Power Yoga and expecting teddy bears, kisses, and campfire kumbaya. It just doesn’t make
- They are in this to serve a higher calling. Except for Bikram. I’m pretty sure he’s around just to ride people like donkeys and demand bootlicking. Perhaps he has some sort of latent cowboy fantasy. But I digress…
- Exchange of energy. Teaching is energy, money is energy. “Even” trades have long been the foundation of our economy. Where you receive, you should also give.
- Yoga, in many cases, is > or = to Therapy. When you think about it, you are getting an amazing deal. So don’t be stingy. Be grateful.
With love, in Piggy Bank-sharing pose.
photo credit: thevestibulearea.wordpress.com