There’s a Chinese Proverb I love that says, “Life begins the day you start a garden.” This is the meditation to practice when you want to till up your soil and begin anew. Let it all go and be reborn. Rediscover your twinkle and flight.
How to Practice MEDITATION FOR SELF-RENEWAL:
- Begin in Sukhasana/Easy Pose.
- Bring your arms in front of your chest, parallel to the floor, elbows bent, palms face down. (See artwork above for the pose, as well as the video link below)
- Your right hand should be 4″ above your left hand. The hands align as the right hovers over the left. Right arm is at chest level, left arm is at breast level. The arms and hands are positioned a few inches out from your chest; they do not rest against it.
- Relax your shoulders down the back. Keep the neck, shoulders, and back free of tension.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe long and deep. Inhale through an “o” with your mouth. Exhale through your nose.
- Continue for 11 minutes. (If this is too much, begin at 3 minutes, working your way up to 11, if you can.)
- When complete, inhale deeply, retain the breath, and squeeze all your muscles in toward the spine (*think subtle, not Muscle Beach*) while still holding the pose. Release the muscles, still holding the pose. Exhale.
- Inhale again, retain, and flex/hug in the muscles of the arms. You’ll feel it in your elbows. Exhale.
- Inhale a third time, retain the breath, pull the chin in, and tighten your neck muscles. Release. Exhale.
- Relax completely.
Meditation for Self-Renewal as written above © Y is for Yogini, adapted from the original meditation created by Yogi Bhajan.
Yogi Bhajan, ever eloquently deep, had this to say about Meditation for Self-Renewal:
“You have a faculty to remodel and rebuild yourself. This meditation consolidates all your faculties and facets to give you a new start. Breath by breath, consciously reconstitute and empower your Self, and drop by drop, you bring the flood. Concentrate deeply and sit like a yogi. . . Breathe with full strength to hit your hidden disease and eliminate it. Ease your existence and body pain. Put your energy on a new route. Hold the posture steady and let the changes happen.”
Sending you love + rich, fertile soil for your renewal.
(sprout photo credit: leonardini)