Today is auspicious indeed. August 26th is Yogi Bhajan’s birthday. Although he is no longer with us in bodily form, his spirit is everywhere.
Awesome Facts About Yogi Bhajan:
- He mastered Kundalini Yoga at age 16 and brought the practice to the U.S. in the late 60s. Wahe Guru!
- He believed that Kundalini should be open to all people and not kept hidden from most, as it was for many, many years. He was the first person in history to teach Kundalini Yoga openly to the public.
- Yogi Bhajan was committed to promoting the equality of women. Read his book, I am a Woman: Creative, Sacred, & Invincible.
- He credited all of his achievements to Spirit, often known to say that he was, “just the mailman delivering the message.”
- Yogi Bhajan, in company with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, and Pope John Paul II, was honored by the U.S. Congress, who passed a bipartisan resolution honoring his life and work.
Favorite Yogi Bhajan Quotes:
“Feel Good, Be Good, and Do Good.”
“Make yourself so happy that when others look at you, they become happy, too.”
“What is the purpose of life? To elevate all, big or small.”
“The attitude of gratitude is the highest yoga.”
“Consult your spirit, your soul, on everything.”
“We meditate so that our minds can be sharp and alert. We chant mantras so that our souls may be ignited like candles. We walk in the light of this beauty.”
“The fact is that there is nothing more beautiful, more worthy, or more conscious than you.”
Happy Birthday, Yogi Bhajan. We are infinitely blessed with all that you’ve created and shared.
artwork credit: 3HO