Holidazed + holicrazed? It happens to the even the jolliest yogis amongst us. What can you do about it? Draw strength, sukkha (ease), and space from your yoga practice. Your mat and other yogic tools can help you glide from Grinch to Sage!
5 Yoga Practices To Dissolve Holiday Stress:
1. Alternate Nostril Breathing (Nadi Shodhana) – This pranayama practice simply WORKS. It will shift your energy completely to a place of utter calm and ease. Watch this video and learn how-to.
2. Meditate for 10 minutes – Find a quiet, safe space where you won’t be interrupted. Settle in, sitting comfortably, and begin any basic meditation method you prefer. I like to focus on my breaths going in and out. Simple and soothing, staying present.
3. Stream-of-Consciousness Writing – This practice has helped me more in life than just about anything else. It is highly yogic. Gather your trusty notebook and a flowy pen and begin. Let all your angry, wild, sad, crazy, anything-in-your-head thoughts pour out onto the page. Don’t judge the writing, don’t re-read it, and don’t let self-consciousness be a block. JUST WRITE. It is helpful to set a goal for yourself, such as “I will write 5 pages.” or “I will write for 10 minutes.” Let it all flow out and you will feel incredibly clear and cleansed.
4. A Strong Vinyasa Flow Practice – Sometimes moving, sweating, and wringing it all out is precisely what your mind and body need. (If you need recommendations: Kia Miller, Bryan Kest (Power Vinyasa), David Kim, and Kathryn Budig are all experienced flow teachers with fantastic online videos and DVD collections.)
5. Meditation for a Calm Heart – The perfect practice for deep stillness within. Learn how to, here.
Bonus Exercise: Spend as much time as possible in Savasana!
Wishing you holiday love, warmth, and bliss. xo